Monday 19 May 2014

Cry of the Ghost

It was cold
and night was dark,
dogs were shivering
and too scared to bark.

Trees were silent
as if in deep sleep,
but we could all hear
 the little ghost weep.

Houses were gloomy
and streets were sad,
the moon was shining
but the light was bad.

Cry of the ghost
we could all hear,
down our spines
his cry sent a shiver.

 Doors were closed
someone was knocking,
everything was quiet 
but someone was walking.

Kids were warned
not to look and peep,
even through a key hole
the ghost could creep.

But one little kid
was a mischievous brat,
what was it about
he wanted to look at.

He was sure that
the ghost was in distress,
his trouble, the kid knew,
he wanted to redress.

 He opened a window
when papa was busy,
but mama saw him
and she was in a tizzy.

There was the ghost
 lying in the lane,
the kid could see
that he was in pain.

“Ghost, ghost
why are you crying,
and why on the ground
are you lying?”

”Don’t even ask me
I have stomach pain,
for I am foolish
I ate a croc’s brain.

 The croc was silly and
empty was his brain,
my stomach didn’t agree
now I have a pain.”

“Don’t you worry
I’ll surely help you,
if I have stomach pain
mama gives me a bitter brew.”

The kid gave him a brew
and asked him to drink,
the ghost took a sip and 
felt his heart would sink.

But the ghost was brave
he gulped the bitter brew,
in a flash he was smiling
and said, “Thank you.”

 The ghost patted the kid
he was cured of his pain,
the kid saw mama rushing
she was carrying a cane.

His mama was scared
she was muttering a prayer,
but she didn’t find the ghost
for he had vanished in air.
          © i b arora

2 comments:

  1. haha that was a fun one too. Croc's brain would give anyone a stomach ache. good of the kid to help

    ReplyDelete